EatWisconsin

Welcome to EatWisconsin, the blog formerly known as Undelicious. This blog will focus on the food, the people, the history, and restaurants in the State of Wisconsin. Though we will focus primarily on the State of Wisconsin, there will be occasional forays into other Cities.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Grilled Lettuce?!?!

.

I am a huge fan of Steven Raichlen and his kick ass grilling books. If you have never seen them, go out and buy “How To Grill” right now. It is the best grilling book ever. Every single recipe that I have tried (over 25 and counting) is outstanding. Anyhow he discusses grilling lettuce, endives to be particular. I was making his Tangerine Soy Tofu (not sure if that is the correct name) and I have a couple of endives. I looked at his book and saw a grilled lettuce recipe but it was more of an Italian style and I was making an Asian style dish so I went to the internet and found a recipe on Epicurious for Endives with Orange Vinaigrette. I tweaked it a bit and here is my version:

Grilled Endives with Orange Vinaigrette

1 navel orange
1 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
½ teaspoon of Orange Muscat vinegar (I got mine at Trader Joes)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
2-4 Belgian endives
Salt and Pepper to taste
Sprinkle of toasted sliced almonds.

With a microplane remove about ½ teaspoon of zest from orange . Squeeze enough juice from orange to measure 1 tablespoon. In a bowl whisk together zest, orange juice, vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste until combined well.

Halve endives lengthwise brush all over with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Season endives with salt and pepper and grill, cut sides down, on a rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 6 minutes. Turn endives and grill until just tender, 6 minutes more. (Alternatively, endives may be grilled in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.)

Serve endives drizzled with vinaigrette and toasted sliced almonds

It was outstanding and very easy to make. It is one of those simple, easy and delicious vegetable recipes that will become a regular staple. I can imagine mixing up the ingredients to match whatever style dish I am cooking. Replacing the white wine vinegar with fig infused balsamic and some raspberry vinegar and adding some chopped garlic and topping with toasted pine nuts for an Italian style dish or using some jalapeños, chili powder and some cilantro and topping with some homemade guacamole. The possibilities are endless. I will post future endive experiments as I make them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home