EatWisconsin

Welcome to EatWisconsin, the blog formerly known as Undelicious. This blog will focus on the food, the people, the history, and restaurants in the State of Wisconsin. Though we will focus primarily on the State of Wisconsin, there will be occasional forays into other Cities.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Brew Review: New Glarus Road Slush Stout


There is much dispute over who the best Wisconsin Microbrewery is. I used to be in the Lakefront/ Sprecher Camp. After all they were the first and they consistently pump out excellent brews. In recent years I have shifted my allegiance to New Glarus. They continually put out sensational seasonal and regular brews and are always adding something new. That is not to say that all of the other breweries aren't exellent as well. I don't think there is a microbrewery in Wisconsin that doesn't have at least 1-2 beers that are great.

I was in a New Glarus bar a few years back when they were testing out their Squirrel Nut Brown Ale and I think that was the time I started to lean towards their brews. Their Hearty Hop is the best Pale Ale put out by a Wisconsin Brewery (I find Cream City to be a little lacking in the hops for my tastes, the same goes for Sprecher’s). Last night I was exited to see that a local bar had a new New Glarus beer, Road Slush Stout. My mouth was watering as I watched the jet black brew fill the glass. One sip and I was in love. This stout was delicious without being overbearing. It has a great balance between the chocolate malt and the oatmeal. It is not extra malty as many other Chocolate and/or Oatmeal Stouts are, but It drinks very well. It is the perfect beer for the winter months, though I wish this would have been released before Christmas because it would have been a great beer to enjoy on Christmas Eve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home