EatWisconsin

Welcome to EatWisconsin, the blog formerly known as Undelicious. This blog will focus on the food, the people, the history, and restaurants in the State of Wisconsin. Though we will focus primarily on the State of Wisconsin, there will be occasional forays into other Cities.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I was recently tagged with a meme by Yulikna of Yulinka Cooks. I then had to do a google search for find out exactly what a meme is. Its an idea that is passed from blog to blog, kind of like crabs, without the itching and embarassing trip to the drug store. I guess the idea is to let people get a glimpse into the personality of a blogger. I kind of had an idea of what it was when I saw a post on Haverchuck's site listing the 5 foods to eat before you die. I replied with my list this morning, then read Yulinka's post and found out about my being tagged. Anyhow here is my list of foods that people should eat before they die:

1. A Johnsonville, Usingers or Kelment's (though Johnsonville is my fave) bratwurst with onions, mustard and washed down with a fine Wisconsin Beer.
2. Speed Queen shoulder and outside dinner.
3. Katz's deli pastrami (I have only eaten it once, but I cannot stop thinking about how good it was..it will change your impression of Pastrami)
4. Onglet (Hanger) steak with red wine and shallot sauce and a side of frites (french fries) served at most good French restaurants (Lake Park Bistro's is awesome, though the best is Les Halles in NYC)
5. Foie Gras - Not in a pate, but a nice seared chunk of foie with some kind of a fruit based sauce to cut through the richness. It is unlike anything you have ever eaten. And it will piss off the folks at PETA.

My list on Haverchuck listed A steak taco from the Taco and Burrito Place on Broadway in Chicago at number 5. While this taco is phemonenal, I had to repalce it with foie gras after some thought

Yulinka also mentioned bloggers listing 5 foods that I haven't eaten but really want to, though I wasn't tagged with that. Nonetheless I am going to list them:

1. Fresh figs (I have searched every gourmet store in the area and have never seen one. Once I get the opportunity I will eat this.
2. Jamon Iberico from Spain. I have never had this and it has recently been approved for import to the US, but the price is obnoxious, which makes me want it more.
3. Veal sweatbreads. Never had the opportunity and as far as I can tell only 1 place in Milwaukee serves them - the Social. I can buy them in the store and make 'em myselef, but I'd like to have someone make them for me so I can at least get an idea what they are like.
4. Fresh truffles. I have had oils and butters, but never had a fresh truffle shaved atop anything.
5. Unaged french raw-milk cheeses - the ones the US won't let into the country unless they are aged for 60 days.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger mzn said…

    Hey Jeff,
    Nice lists. I think I've seen figs once at Glorioso's but I could be mixing up grocery store memories from different cities. I'll let you know if I spot them again.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Mrs. M. said…

    This spring I found fresh figs at Sendik's on Oakland. This was the first time I tried fresh figs and I was unimpressed. I still like dried figs better.

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger mzn said…

    I'm not surprised that you were unimpressed, Yulinka. I think figs are a fruit that don't travel that well. They are undoubtedly better when freshly picked, never refrigerated, not transported 3,000 miles, etc.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Molly said…

    I managed to bring some undeclared raw milk Camembert back from Paris but the product was ruined when the airline misplaced my luggage for a couple of days...

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Pyewacket said…

    I've had figs just off the tree,a nd they are amazing, but storebought often leaves somethng to be desired. That said, store-bought figs take well to grilling or caramelizing with a blowtorch.

    I've still not had unaged raw milks cheeses. Definitely on my list.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger rweber130 said…

    I'm sorry, but your comment on Johnsonville preference to Usinger's and Klements is an insult to Milwaukee. I'm from Upstate NY and know better. Johnsonville brats have so much fat in them that they shrink up and shrivel when cooking them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home