EatWisconsin

Welcome to EatWisconsin, the blog formerly known as Undelicious. This blog will focus on the food, the people, the history, and restaurants in the State of Wisconsin. Though we will focus primarily on the State of Wisconsin, there will be occasional forays into other Cities.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mazo's Fine Foods - The best burgers in town?

I had never even heard of Mazos until about a month ago when a local publication (I think it was the Shepard Express) mentioned the phenomonal burgers offered up at Mazo's at 27th and Oklahoma (just a few blocks south of Pho Tru Trinh, reviewed here 4 weeks ago). Upon reading the article, I did some internet research and apparently Mazo's burgers are described as many as the "Best in the City." A discussion and photos even were topics at eGullet, where posters ohh-ed and aahh-ed over the pictures of the burgers in the thread. As I mentioned in the post on Katz's Deli in NYC, I am skeptical of any place that people claim has the best (insert food item here) in the city/state/country/world. My experience at Katz's emboldened me. I was ready to go forward and try another so-called "best" restaurant.

Mazo's is in a nondescript small building across the street from the more famous Leon's Custard. I used to drive by this place almost weekly and it never even caught my eye. I should warn you, Mazo's doesn't take credit cards. I noticed this on a menu posted outside and had to go to a nearby ATM to fetch me some cash. A frest set of 20s in my pocket and I was ready for some food. I ordered a cheeseburger with fried onions and mushrooms. You get to choose 2 sides. I think the selections include fries, cole slaw, soup, cottage cheese, and something else that sounded lame. I got fries and the soup. My choices were chicken noodle, navy bean, and beef vegetable. I am not a fan of any of those kinds of soup. People rave about chicken noodle and how its this great comfort food. Fuck that. If I want comfort food, I want clam chowder, beer cheese, or a nice bisque. Despite the fact that its August and I don't care for it, I ordered beef vegetable. It was good, but a bit greasy. The chunks of meat were good, but were few and far beteen. I am guessing that someone who likes beef vegetable would have enjoyed this.


My burger and fries arrived soon after I was done with my soup. The burger was decent sized (1/4 lb or more) and I could smell the fried onions. The frieswere hot and crinkle cut, one of my personal favorite cuts. They were excellent and seasoned with seasoning salt. My first bite of the burger filled my mouth with meat, bun, butter (yes its a butter burger), melted American cheese, onions and mushrooms and I have to say it was delicious. Each bite provided little resistance and I enjoyed it immensely.

So how does Mazo's stack up to institutions like Solly's, Kopp's, and Culver's butter burgers? Really good, if you ask me. I think that I like Solly's a little bit better, even though they are smaller, but its close. Its a tad better than Kopp's and much better than Culver's. I need to admit that as good as butter burgers are, I prefer pub-style burgers. I would say the best burger in the City is served at The Wicked Hop. I like to order it with Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Jalapenos and wash that puppy down with a cold pint of Bell's Oberon or Stella Artois. I cannot fathom going there and not ordering that. I do need to get to Sobleman's, which sources tell me is outstanding (and they have fried jalapenos on the burger). Nonetheless, if you want a really good Milwaukee-style butter burger, Mazo's is your place. Just typing this is making me hungry.

Mazo's Fine Foods can be found at 3146 S 27TH StMilwaukee, WI 53215 (414) 671-2118

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home